Google Apps Vault is an add-on for Google Apps that lets you retain, archive, search, and export your organization's email for your eDiscovery and compliance needs. Vault is entirely web-based, so there's no need to install or maintain any software. Vault is included with Google Apps Unlimited, or you can buy Vault licenses for an additional $5 per user, per month.
Google Apps Vault provides the following eDiscovery services:
- Email and chat archiving—Set retention rules to control how long email messages and on-the-record chats are retained before they are removed from user mailboxes and deleted from Google systems. Learn about retention.
- Legal holds—Place legal holds on users to preserve all their emails and on-the-record chats indefinitely in order to meet legal or other retention obligations You can place legal holds on all content in a user's account, or target specific content based on dates and terms. Learn about holds.
- Drive file search—Search your domain’s Google Drive accounts by user account, organizational unit, date, or keyword. Search results include Google file types as well as non-Google file types such as PDF, DOCX, and JPG. Learn about searching for files.
- Email search—Search your domain's email and on-the-record chats by user account, date, or keyword. Vault supports Boolean, Gmail-specific, and wildcard operator searches. Learn about search.
- Export—Export specific email, on-the-record chats, and files from Drive to standard formats for additional processing and review. Learn about exporting.
- Audit reports—Use Vault audit reports to learn about actions Vault users have taken during a specified period of time. Learn about audits.